- Describe the relationship of the functional anatomy of CN IX, X, XI and the location of their respective nuclei to a neurological exam which examines the brainstem.
- Explain the neuroanatomical pathways associated with brainstem reflexes tested in the conscious and unconscious patient.
- Describe the relationship between the sympathetic and parasympathetic innervation of the eye to the clinical assessment of eye reflexes.
- Describe the relationship of changes in upper limb posture of unconscious patient to underlying damage to the brainstem.
- Describe the consequences of herniation syndromes associated with increases in intracranial pressure.
- Identify the main nuclei associated with the reticular formation and outline their function to influence the level of consciousness.